The basic considerations in the application of interior landscaping. Interior landscaping magnifies the character of the enclosed space and gives an opportunity to the designer to could the way in which the space is both seen and felt by the viewer. A The primary interior design components are the physical units, which support the design.
1. Direction moderates the physical movement within a given space. A designer can the visual experience within an interior by allowing movement only in a particular direction or area. Plants assist in supporting pedestrian movement by showing a particular direction.
2. Organisation defines the spaces desired by the designer because viewers are directed throughout a composition. It may be desirable to expand the size of the perceived space and change the experiences. By organizing plants define an indoor space.
B. The secondary interior design components are the visual units that support the composition by using a plant or group of plants
1. Framing draws attention to a focal area or important view within a space. It may he accomplished by using plants, which project into the visual plane and frame a specific feature within the composition.
2. Chaining visually joins one space or object to another space or object. When plants visually join two spaces together, the effect of chaining is created.
3. Flexibility is the ability to change the apparent size of the composition. It may he achieved by changing the amount of enclosed space.
4. Attraction uses stimulation, suggestion or curiosity to pull a viewer into a space by moving objects or changing colour.
5. Divigion is the use of interior plants to divide a large space into smaller units or to create a small space within a large space.
6. Partition is used as a total enclosure of a space. A person within the space cannot walk or see through this form. A screen may he created with a single plant or group of plants.
7. Awning is used with a branching height of 2.1m. or more, which will allow an individual to walk underneath.
8. Boundary is used as a partial enclosure or as a control of circulation within an interior space. A person may see over this feature but not walk through it.
9. Obstruction is used to control visual experiences within the interior landscape An individual may see through but cannot walk through it. An obstruction may be created which does not interrupt the visual experience.
10. Floor-cover is used as a visual floor reaching a maximum height of 45cm. Floor-cover may be created by keeping it below the eye level of the viewer.
These visual units may be used to create numerous and varied interior compositions but their effectiveness depends upon the following:
(a) Type, age and condition of the plant materials.
(b) Spacing of the plants, which determines the opacity and transparency.
(c) Form and growth rate of the individual plants, which affect the density.
Now-a-days artificial plants are used often to enhance interior ambiance because they are easy to maintain by occasional cleaning and washing.